Sunday, January 4, 2009

Seeking Patterns

The Path into the South Woods takes me past a large and stately Silver Maple. My eyes are drawn to the activities of a little critter which surely must be home here. A distinct hole in the Tree is worn on either side. Particles of fresh organic matter cascade down below. After a snowfall, little tracks reveal this little critter's busy highway as he/she heads (or they head) into the world beyond the tree and presumably back home again.

As I meander about these 40 acres, I find myself seeking patterns of the land, the plants and the animals who live here. After living 38 years beyond this county, I know so little of this land. I yearn to know its rhythms, intricacies of its seasons. I wish to craft a loving fit between myself and this new place that is home.

No comments: