Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Magic

Yesterday, Richard and I headed for a walk in the Woods. It was my first walk into Nature on her lovely uneven ground since my hip fracture almost 2 months ago. While the day was windy, Spring was more of a dominant presence. With the tawny brown of last year's vegetation on top, green was poking up everywhere. With my usual Cedar Walking Stick in hand, I was excited and ready to go.

Richard glanced back and noted that Max, the Cat, was intent on following. Our City Cats generally stay pretty close to the House, unless they see their Humans headed on a Walkabout. Considering these parts are also homes to Foxes, Coyotes, Turkeys, and Hawks with occasional Eagles overhead, we are perfectly content with them staying close to the House.

But here came Max. He was just as intent on an early Spring walk as I. I think he felt he had been denied for far too long.

Magical Max stayed tied to us on an invisible tether of about 20 feet. He would go tearing off scattering dry leaves on either side of our path. He would meow all the way, and then head right back to the comfort of our feet. He was so excited. He just could not be contained. It was a day of exploring with the comfort of those you know and love and those with whom you feel safe.

Max has no front claws and has not had them since he was small. But in the presence of trees, he still knew they were for climbing. He looked up and then launched himself onto a branch platform. He climbed a ways, then looked down. "What do I do now?" Soon he was back down upon the ground.

After our walk through the Woods, we headed back into the Meadow. He did some exploring but soon followed us back to the House.

After our walk, I felt energized and invigorated in doing something that I had not done for so long. I wonder what our lives would be like if we did only those things that made our spirits soar. After being cramped up in our Human Confines, we feel a bit awkward and unsure. But the more we travel down those precious roads, the lighter our step and the more we soar.

Max knows that Magic. I am learning too.

No comments: