Thursday, September 1, 2011

Checking Kraut

We made Kraut on Sunday, which was 5 days ago.  The Kraut is stored in the basement.  It will take about 5-6 weeks for it to ferment.  I need to check it every couple of days.  Well, I was a little slow and didn't check it until today. 

I checked it today and it looks very good.  It now has that wonderful Kraut smell.  The clear juice is over the Kraut and the cloths that cover it.  The jar filled with water is holding the plate down and the Kraut under the juice. Some foam was coming up in 2 places.  I just scooped it off.  Then I covered the whole thing back up again. 

I wrote on the calendar the day that we made the Kraut and the relative time period it should be done.  As busy as it has been around here, we need to have things written down. 

Over the next couple of days, the Kraut will continue to do its thing.  I will continue to do my thing too.  Sounds like the 2 of us are going to be busy. We will not go by leaps and bounds, but steadily we will make progress.

No comments: