Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Days Are Full


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you are a regular following this Blog,
you may be wondering
why I haven't been writing much
these past few days.
A snapshot of today might shed some light.
I did wash to start the Day.
I should not forget that
in the face of the busy-ness,
those Sheets
need to be put on our bed.
Harvest is in full swing.
Every container is maxed
with some kind of Garden Produce
waiting in cue to be eaten and preserved.
We watch carefully
so we do not lose anything.
Those Peppers and Tomatoes
went into Stuffed Peppers
which we made yesterday.
They were done last night.
We put them in the outside Refrigerator
to cool for the Night.
Today, I put them into Plastic Tubs
that Deleta gave us.
And they are now in the Freezer.
Melanie and Richard peeled
Apples for Apple Sauce.
And she canned it up
as soon as it was done.
The aroma wafted lovingly
into the corners of the House.
I tidied up to make sure no bills
were going unpaid.
It seems when we get as busy
and distracted as we are now,
those essentials can slip past.
Richard picked up needed Supplies in town.
He headed to Rolf's to pick up Liver, etc.
Rolf is a friend who Farms
about an hour to the west of us.
We really like his Beef.
They are pastured and very well cared for.
If you have been following this,
you know that is essential to us.
Rolf provides Beef for Consumers.
He called late last week to offer us the Liver
as a Cow was being butchered today.
When Richard arrived back here at the Farm,
Hollis Dale came over to help.
We split the Liver between us.
I watched Richard and Hollis Dale at work.
I am new to these things,
but figured out
where I could be the most help.
I went to Town
to visit my Elderly Mother.
She is not doing so well.
I am wondering if she is ready to head on.
Of course, we cannot know.
Once again, I am new at these things
and I keep trying to find my place.
She is less and less connected.
However, she loves to have me play the Piano.
She just lights up.
So I played a Recital just for her.
The pieces came right
out of my childhood and family history:
"Adagio" (the 1st movement of "Moonlight Sonata")
was played by my Grandmother Lottie
at her Graduation
from the Wagner Conservatory of Music
101 years ago, in 1909,
in Kirksville.
For as long as I have lived,
my Mother has loved this song
with abandon.
My version was neither as long
nor did it have as many notes
as my Grandmother's.
My sheet Music calls this version "simplified"
which suits me just fine.
I played "For Eloise" by Beethoven,
which I just love.
I played the "Blue Danube" by Strauss.
These days, my mind and prayers drift
to the tragedy on the beautiful Danube in Hungary.
While playing the "Blue Danube",
1 of the Custodians came along
with his Floor Polisher;
he was humming the tune
and I could swear
he was dancing with that Floor Polisher.
But I am not sure,
for mostly my thoughts were focused
on the Sheet Music and the Keys.
He gave me the Gift of a wide Smile.
I also played
the "Spinning Song" by Ellmenreich.
For this recital, we were joined
by a Childhood Friend Gaylene
(who was visiting from the East Coast)
and her youngest sister Kathy.
Our Dads were 1st generation
born to immigrant Croatian parents
and they grew up together.
Gaylene and Kathy had come to see Mother.
Their Mother is doing a Hospital stint
and I was not happy to hear about that.
She will be in our thoughts and prayers.
I'm playing the Piano at lot here at home.
And I am doing it "for Mom".
We pulled 7 Chickens out of the Freezer.
The Freezers are overflowing,
so we will be canning up Meat.
We have "Tides" here on the Farm.
They are actually Dishes
which rise and fall in mounds
to be cleaned or dried and put away.
With all the doin's,
I have not been sleeping well.
Something had to give
and it is not supposed to be me.
I slowed down on the writing,
but this indeed is a treasure trove time.
My writing is a record,
it is also a seeking of meaning too.
Plus, our Server seems
to have less access in the Evening
so Blogger is often out of reach.
For all these reasons of abundance,
I didn't post on the Blog for a bit.
That will likely happen again.
I asked my family
if I could take a bit of time
to Blog while they cooked supper.
Liver is on.
It smells really good.
Dinner will be up soon.
~~~~
Glinda Crawford, 2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: