Thursday, December 2, 2010

On the Meaning of Stuff

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I rarely wonder
on the meaning of stuff
we gather around us.
Mostly, I just gather stuff
rather than wondering
about what purpose it serves in my life.
This is one of those rare times
when I even take a peek through the window
to consider what it all means.
Why do we gather these piles of stuff?
It's true, I am considerably better
at living more simply.
It's also true,
I still have a ways to go.
Living an agrarian life style
does take more stuff:
jars, canners, big pots, freezers.
The list goes on.
The Grandmas and Grandpas of the past did it,
and they lived in teeny houses
by today's standards,
nevermind larger family size.
They also had sheds and barns too.
While they had considerably less
by today's standards,
they kept things
because they never knew
when they might use them.
They may have had a greater sense
of what goes into the making of stuff.
Why would you throw away
those resources the Earth gave,
and the fruits
of Human efforts, skill and money besides?
Maybe their voices live inside of me.
I have a hard time letting go of things
that keep me connected to earlier ones.
I think I hold some of these treasures
because they somehow mean love.
Of course, material things do not mean love.
My rational voice firmly declares
while my hand reaches for more.
In troubled times or times of higher stress,
I hold onto things more,
almost as if I need something to lean on.
The boxes get so tall
they teeter as I lean.
The piles get so wide
they impede my path.
In my life, I practice
a dynamic dance
of accumulating and letting go.
These days, I feel
the struggle of those 2 things
and I see it in the settling
of this little Home.
Somehow I (and we) will find our way.
I am better,
but I have a ways to go.
~~~~
Glinda Crawford, 2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: