Monday, March 14, 2011

Book Friend

Stratton-Porter, Gene. (1909). A Girl of the Limberlost. New York: Grosset & Dunlap Publishers.

This book is quite the treasure. I have not read it completely. I have about 100 pages left and I can hardly put it down.

The book focuses on "Elnora", an indomitable girl from a difficult childhood coming of age in the Limberlost, a swamp in Northern Indiana in the early 1900s. While I am enjoying the story, I am enjoying equally the descriptions of life in this time period, which parallels when my Grandmother Lottie would have been of similar age. Throughout, Gene Stratton-Porter interweaves wisdom which transcends time and space. In some ways, I think she is speaking to me.

We 3 C's often talk about who we might like to ask for Dinner here on the Farm. It doesn't matter if they are alive or past. I should surely like to invite Gene Stratton-Porter, who was a prolific writer, amateur naturalist, wildlife photographer. Her love of Nature is embedded in this text. She manages to write a rich text which brings the reader right into the story. Her cliff hanger endings for chapters mean that the Reader (that would be me) can hardly put the book down. I am surprised I managed to write this little blog before I completed the work.

We had been on the lookout for this book. Richard found it recently at an Auction. I wonder who has enjoyed it before.
~~~~
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Stratton-Porter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Girl_of_the_Limberlost

No comments: