Sunday, March 27, 2011

Technical Difficulties

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I remember "technical difficulties"
we'd experience
when television was "new"
in the 1950s and 60s.
Woe to those
who would experience
such difficulties
in the middle of Gunsmoke,
Bonanza,
or the Ed Sullivan Show
when we were glued
with fascination
to the set.
Technical difficulties
meant difficulties in reception.
They were widely announced
by a snowy screen,
bold image,
annoying sounds.
You'd think as modern
as we are these days
technical difficulties
would be a thing of the past.
Not so.
The more technology
the more technical difficulties
have multiplied
and the bigger
the problems that result.
The older I get and the more I know
the more I value "low tech".
"High tech" is usually a human solution.
The inventor likely did not consider
the full range of consequences.
I am reminded
some are keepers.
Most are not.
Low tech usually means
staying closer
to a solution in Nature.
Those are inventions
to which I choose
to pay very close attention.
The more my fascination
had focused on that Human World,
the less I had allowed Nature
to be my Teacher.
But the Student has returned
and fortunately,
the Teacher is patient.
~~~~
Glinda Crawford, 2011
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: