Sunday, July 17, 2011

Garden Shots

On the day of the Garden Tour, I headed out to take some Pictures.  The Garden indeed looks very lovely.  Yes, we have tidied it up a bit for company.  But yes, we are also keeping a little more ahead of the Weeds this year.  Richard has been frontrunner here.  But those raised beds mean that we have far greater access to the Garden.  And that feels good.

The 1st photo shows that the Mandan Bride Indian Corn is beginning to "tassel", or pollinate.  Looking closely, small ears are beginning to form lower on the plant.  (You cannot see them in this photo.)  I love this variety of Indian Corn, which will be in several different colors and so too is the pollen.

For the most part, my dry Edible Beans are looking great. Midsummer is their season.  Look at them go.  The 3rd bed from the left is Georgia Jet Sweet Potatoes. I got them from a neighbor lady of Richard's Mother.  She is quite well known as a gardener and a grower of Sweet Potatoes in the parts.
 I also planted the Orange Oakleaf Sweet Potato.  Like Georgia Jet, it is an Heirloom.  It has beautiful "cut leaves".  That little Flower hiding on the end of that bed is a Marigold from Rolf.
This is another view of the same area shown earlier.  The Georgia Jet Sweet Potatoes are in front.  The next row is Tiger Eye Dry Edible Beans.  And behind them are the 2 stands of Pole Beans.  I am not sure of the varieties of Pole Beans in this photo. I would need to take a closer look.
The Henderson's Bush Limas are blooming and setting pods.  Look down at the bottom: the teeniest of pods are beginning to form.  I loved Baby Limas when I was a child.  I need to watch these carefully because I would like to harvest them when the Beans are Green.
This is an overview of Richard's Melon Patch, with Zinnias, Green Beans, and Chicken Houses in the Background.  All of the Crops depicted in these Photos like Warm Season the Best.  This is their season to shine.  Life is good here on the Farm.

No comments: