Friday, July 1, 2011

June into July

We are into Hot Weather now as June moves into July. The last few days have been dry.  It was 94 degrees here today. The historical average is 84 according to WeatherUnderground. 

Yesterday, we went out to check the Cane Field.  It is now dry enough for Richard to till most areas, which is what he did early this morning.  Tomorrow morning, we will begin hand weeding those rows.  Yes, you heard me right:  We will begin hand weeding those rows. Hand weeding will enable us to take care of the Weeds in the rows and to fluff up that Soil, which is compacted with recent heavy Rains. Compacted Soil coupled with High Heat makes it difficult for plants to grow. 

It is supposed to be cooler tomorrow.  We 3 C's should be out early tomorrow morning to begin this process.  That means I better get to bed soon tonight.

Yesterday, Richard went to pick Black Raspberries.  He didn't find our expected numbers but he found some to freeze anyway.  It looks like it will be a low yield year.  Some years are like that. At the Grocery Store, most Foods are in Season all year round.  That's not so here on the Farm.

He did come back with some Elderberry Flowers and Melanie picked some too. Melanie and I thought they looked like Bridal Flowers. They are gorgeous.  Melanie got them ready to go into the Dehydrator.  When dried, they will be added to her collection of Medicinal Herbs.
You will note 4 Rows of Onions in this bed.  There are 2 varieties here.  The variety on the right has reached the "tipping point" of 1/2 leaning over.  When this happens, Richard pushes over the rest.  This is the 1st step in harvest.   This process will go fast. 

We are thinking ahead to where we will put them after they are dug. They will need to lay out on horizontal surfaces and air dry to cure.  We are going to need a lot of space this time.  Richard planted 1100 Onions.  We have thinned a considerable number and eaten them along the way.  But there's a lot left.
We are really excited about how well the Onions have done this year.  Compared to past years, this year's are larger and healthier.  We have them on 3 different beds.  This bed, which is the best, is made of compost and it is raised. 

We are beginning to get the picture here:  Our Plants almost always do better with healthier Soil which is well drained.  Those Raised Beds have fast become some of our Best Friends in Gardening.  Mulching helps too.
I started this day by making sure that all my Pots of Plants were watered.  While I was filling my bucket with Rainwater, I noted this beautiful Yellow Swallowtail. Forgive me, Butterfly, but I am not sure of the exact name, or the name the Humans have given you.  We have not been able to find it in our books. 

The beautiful Butterfly was enjoying the Purple Coneflower (Echinacea Purpurea). So I grabbed the camera and another bucket; then I sat down with no fanfare on the bucket among the Flowers.  My hope was that the Butterfly would continue feeding.  I was not disappointed. 

By this time, Melanie and I were both watching the Butterfly.  I noted that Butterflies have at least 2 different patterns in feeding.  There probably are far more.  Some stand gently on the Flowers and slowly open and close their wings.  This Butterfly's wings were quickly opening and closing, giving a fluttering effect. How little I know of the Worlds of the Creatures with whom I share this Life. I am grateful that they are very patient with me.

This Butterfly gifted me with many pictures and then she was gone.  I paused for a moment to soak in what I had experienced.  Then I got up, filled my bucket with Rainwater and continued to water my plants.

No comments: