Monday, July 5, 2010

Nature Notes

On this side of Summer Solstice, Length of Day has decreased perceptively, at least according to one sensitive to such things. That would be Richard, one of our Early Risers.

I feel a touch of Sadness with the retreat of my Friend, the Sun. Yet my Sadness is accompanied by a profound gratitude that the Cycle of Life continues.

While we hear much beautiful Bird Song, that too has decreased. Baby Birds, accompanied by attentive Parents, are everywhere. Last Evening, we noted a Baby Bluebird, newly emerged from the Nest Box. With muted colors for that 1st excursion, s/he was clinging to the Fence with Feet and Legs Spraddled in different directions. Seemingly, the Little One was not ready to leave that position any time soon. While the Humans were investigating the doin's, Mama Bluebird was sailing close overhead. "Move on." And so we did.

Blackberries are beginning to ripen on the Meadow. They are everywhere. In the time that we have lived here, I have never seen so many. They must be liking the Rains, and it must be their Day to shine. The Humans are grateful. One could hear the Plop-Plop in the little Bucket as we grazed the Meadows. Our Smiles just outside of Taste Buds and over delighted Tummies were clearly visible too.

I investigated the Compass Plant over in the "Fingers", which is what we've called the North Woods and Meadow which together look like a Hand. The Compass Plant has sent 5 Flower Stalks reaching for the Sky. All are beginning to bloom.

While on my way to the Compass Plant, I noted a Praying Mantis which was about 1 1/2 inches long. I have loved and been intrigued by those Insects all my Life. I just never thought I would share a Home with them.

No comments: