Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Peanut Memories

November 1:

On this day, we pulled some of the Peanuts from their dried Vines. As I sat there pulling Peanuts, I shared that I didn't think this was the customary process for that big name company which sells such things. On this day and on our Farm, the Peanuts are big and are they ever good.

When I was a Child, I loved to write stories. I would tell them to anyone who would listen. They always seemed like a kind of magic to me. One of my Memories of such Tellings is the warm smiling face of my Mother looking down on me.

One of the stories that I wrote was called "The Little Peanut". I was about 8 and in the 3rd Grade. I just couldn't quit writing and telling stories because the words seemed like they would never stop.

The story went something like this: "Once upon a time, there was a Little Peanut. He lived on a Farm in the Soil with his Family and his Friends. They laughed and played together. Life was good and they were very happy.

One day, they heard some loud noises and felt the ground shake. Pretty soon, a large machine came and dug them from the ground. They were placed in a large box under which the wheels turned. They were taken away from the place that was their home. It was dark in the box and they were sad, alone, and afraid. Where did their family go? Where was the place they called home? Would they ever return?

The wheels stopped. And they were thrown into something that moved. They were squashed and stirred all around. Somehow, the Little Peanut still knew who he was. Later they were placed in jars with the lids on. Once again the Little Peanut and all the other Peanuts were in boxes and under them the wheels turned. This time, those Wheels turned in a different direction. Things were all dark in there so they did not know what was going on.

Then the lid came off and the Little Peanut could see the light. To his surprise, he was back home and he was surrounded by his family and friends. No, it wasn't quite the same. They were now Peanut Butter, but they lived happily ever after on the Farm that was always their home.

"The End."

No comments: