Thursday, December 29, 2011

Book Friend

Spyri, Johanna. (1968). Heidi.  New York: Lancer Books, Inc.
~~~~
I have recently been drawn toward reading 4 novels from the late 1800s and early 1900s.  These are works that have been passed down in my family's lore. They are likely books that my Grandparents [especially Lottie (Hart) and Fred Brenz] and my Mother read.  I read 2 of the 4 when I was growing up. Of the 3 that I have read recently (Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter, Shepherd of the Hills by Harold Bell Wright, and Heidi by Johanna Spyri) and the 1 that is in process (Freckles by Gene Stratton Porter), Nature figures heavily.  Nature is healer.  The tension between urban and rural is very evident.  Urban life styles are split from Nature whereas rural living is imbedded in Nature.  Authors speak articulately of these themes.  I can imagine that with the rise of urban, industrial and more consumer oriented settings in that time period, the struggle between urban and rural was very apparent. Life styles in rural, natural settings were healthier for body, mind and spirit of main characters.  Assuming needs are met, it is not hard to see an affirmation of this in our modern society today.

No comments: