Sunday, December 4, 2011

Recipe: Date Roll Candy

3 c. Sugar
1 c. Milk
1 1/2 c. Chopped Dates
1 1/2 c. Chopped Nuts (I used Pecans)
1 tsp. Vanilla
Butter size of Egg

Combine the sugar and milk, cook to soft ball stage, medium heat.  Add chopped dates and cook to hard ball stage, then add 1 1/2 c. chopped nuts, 1 tsp. vanilla, butter (size of egg).  Beat until stiff.  Roll in damp towel to cool.  Slice when cool.

~~~~
Lottie Hart and Fred Brenz on their wedding day, Nov. 15, 1911
Lottie Hart and Fred Brenz with their daughters Ruthirene, Dorothy, and Louise, 204 E. Hickory Street, Kirksville, MO, Sept. 14, 1941
~~~~
Notes:

Mother wrote on the recipe card that her "Mother and Daddy made this just before Christmas.  We loved it."   I remember having this when we were growing up, but I had not had it for decades.  When we moved back to Kirksville, I talked with Mom about it.  That last Christmas season she was in her home, I asked if she had the recipe because I wanted to reclaim some of the old family favorites.  She said she was not sure where it was.  After she fell in January 18, 2009, I found this recipe in her recipe card holder above the sink.  She surely must have found it and set it aside for me.  This seemed a perfect recipe to take to the Holiday Heritage Tunes and Treats event which is on Friday.

I have to chuckle at the "Butter size of Egg".  So many of the recipes of old were not standardized.  Cooks just knew what was meant and their language was a good bit more colorful.  They also knew the ingredients that they were working with after many trials.  Often, they did not use a recipe.  So how much is "Butter size of Egg" for modern ones like me who have no clue?  I broke an egg in a measuring cup which was 1/4 cup.  That Egg was about 3 tablespoons.

No comments: