Saturday, February 28, 2009

Sprouts

On February 7, Melanie and I planted the early seeds that need a little extra germination and growing time before our spring plantings in the big garden. Our calendar "in the sign" suggested that such plantings at this time would give the seeds the boost they would need.

I have to say that most of these were the tiniest seeds ever. I never would have concluded that tiny seeds would produce tiny sprouts. That shows how much I have to learn about such things. They were tiny sprouts indeed.

Melanie and I mist them with water several times each day. They are in the preferred warm spot in the Sun at the south dining room window. I think talking and singing to them helps. We ooh and aah over the new developments each day.

Melanie planted Celery (Tendercrisp, Celebration, Giant Pascal), Celeriac (Caesar), Eggplant (Ping Tung, Applegreen, Pandora), Leeks (Giant Musselburgh), Lemon Grass. Hers are on the top shelf of the new plant stand that Richard built. Mine are on the bottom.

Seeds that I planted included: Herbs: Catnip, Lavender varieties (True, Munstead, Hidcote and Lady), Parsley (Flat and Curly), Oregano; Veggies: Walking Stick Kale; Flowers: Snapdragon (Scarlet Giant and Maximum Mixed), Pansies (Can Can Mix and Historic), Giant Exhibition Coleus.

Two notes are in order. One of the Parsleys and the Oregano were lovely gifts of seeds and story for our little Farm from Jerry Bulisco at our parting from North Dakota in 2007. With the busy-ness of the last 2 years, I wanted to wait to plant them when I could enjoy them. This is the year. When the Catnip reaches a certain stage, I shall have to tuck it away from the Cats. That should be fun.

What you see above are Old Fashioned Vining Petunias which need about 8-10 weeks before their excursion into the big outside world. The seed source was Seed Savers. They are obviously quite happy with their new digs.

With all the hoopla around my recovering hip, I must say that tending a tiny garden with new seedlings emerging every day is an essential part of my therapy. Plus, such plantings are a wonderful way to emerge slowly from Winter's slumber into Spring.

No comments: