Friday, August 12, 2011

Staying Tuned

The temperatures have cooled and we are all very grateful.  That intense heat made us tired.  I think we are still recovering from it. We 3 Humans worked around it as much as we could, rising early and working outside, resting in the afternoon in the cool air conditioned house, and working outside in the evening.  We kept the Chickens watered and as comfortable as possible.  They spent most of their time in the shade. They are smart that way.

The Littles have really grown.  The picture above shows the 4 of the 12 Pullets who have moved from the Brooder House to the Hen House.  They stay really close together and they bow graciously and knowingly to the bigger Chickens.  It doesn't take them long to figure out peck order and their place in it. They are smart that way.

This morning, Richard let the Chickens out and they came pouring out of their Coop into the Big Yard.  One of the Little Pullets was among them.  She was dashing into that outside world with glee.  Then all of a sudden, she recognized that she was without her cohort.  Back to the Coop she went. Lickety split.

The Cockerels are growing.  They are a very gentle bunch. We all know that it will be tougher this year to "harvest them".  They are soon to become Freezer Birds.  Usually by this time, they are pulling out all of their boy games, challenging and fighting with each other.  In some ways, it makes it easier to say "Good-bye".  Not so this year.

We have had very little rain of late. Today we got a welcome 1/4 inch.  We surely could use more.  Certain Crops have been challenged by the Heat and the lack of Rain.  Some of my Dry Edible Beans have done well, but some have almost no pods and others have pods with Beans that are poorly developed.  That makes me sad.  We have quite a few Tomatoes, but we don't seem to have as much Fruit on the Vine.  Again, the lack of Rain seems to be a huge factor. We are getting more lessons on Climate Change and its effect on growing Food.  We also need to take some notes on this as to what does well and what doesn't.

The Sorghum Cane is growing, but it is not nearly as tall as in previously years.  Of course, it was planted later and, since it needs 120 days, it has just barely the "time to make crop".  We are on pins and needles about this one because Sorghum Molasses is very important to us.  We are bound by Frost on the other end; 1st frost date in these parts is October 10; Frost renders Cane unusable. So that's the reason why we cast a wary eye.

Occasionally a Plant sends up a slightly withered Leaf. Again, Rain seems to be the factor.  We are continually presented with insights that show how dependent we are on the Earth and her Cycles. 
My Sunflowers are looking beautifully.  I have planted several different varieties and I have staggered them at different times.

Whoa, Glinda! Sorry, Folks, I have an errand to run.  Be right back.

OK, I'm back.  It's dark now and the Moon, which will be full tomorrow, is making her Presence known, with a Veil to cover her lovely Face.  I lost 1/4 of my Indian Corn (Mandan Bride) to some neighbors with the last name of "Raccoon".  They climbed the 6 foot fence and had a big party right out there in my Corn Patch.  I was none too happy.  What's a body to do?

A friend, who is a well known grower of Veggies in these parts, suggested using an Amish Buggy Light.  Apparently, Raccoons are not fond of such things.  So Richard and I headed into Amish Country which isn't far away and found a Buggy light for my Corn.  It does zap Batteries pretty quickly, which I am not excited about.  Next year, hopefully, I will have an electric fence. 

Since we have been using the light, the Raccoons have not been back.  I turn it on when it gets dark and turn it off when it gets light.  Now, I suppose I wouldn't have had to say that.  You would have figured that out. I have the light turned so that it will not bother the Chickens or reflect back on the House.

Back to the Sunflowers:  Since I staggered the planting of the Sunflowers, they are putting on quite a show.  They are a continual parade of blooms.  I love it when the Seeds begin to develop.  Some little Birds have already found the Seeds and they are pretty happy about that. I love all this activity in the Garden.

Melanie noticed a Bee lounging on some Sunflower Petals this evening.  Looking more closely, we discovered the Bee was actually taking a Bath.  I tried to take a picture but the Bee flew off.  I think that was a private moment. Of course it would be.  And I apologize for the disruption.  Humans with Cameras can be a funny lot.
And on this beautiful day, we noticed that Mother's Miracle Lilies were in bloom.  I didn't even notice that they were pointing skyward and beginning to bloom.  That made me smile.
We have had other happenings.  Richard was driving back from town.  On the top of the drive, he noted that a Grasshopper was flying along side his window.  He checked the Speedometer and that Grasshopper was flying 12 miles per hour.  I think the Grasshopper checked his Speedometer and noted that large tin box on wheels with the nice man inside was traveling 12 miles per hour. 

When sitting outside earlier this week after supper, Melanie noted that a Fawn had come up to the top of the Path and was curiously looking at us.  We just smiled at the Spotted One.  Then in a flash, the Fawn was off into the Woods.

Stuff's always happening here on the Farm.  We just stay tuned, not wishing to miss a thing.

No comments: