Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Story

Years ago, I read a story which I have repeated often.  I do not know the source, but I believe that it is old and it is indigenous.  The story goes:

1st of all, I should tell you that I do not intend to do this to a Frog.  My choice to live a non-violent life style does not permit such options.  But let's get on with the story.

If you were to put a big pot of water on a fire to boil and then you threw a Frog towards the boiling water, the Frog would immediately sense danger.  That Frog would do everything possible to avoid that danger.  He would contort his body and go through all kinds of immediate visceral reactions.  And he just might jump free.

If, however, you were to place that same pot above the fire pit with water at the temperature of the air and then put the Frog in it, the Frog would be reasonably content in this space. Then put on the wood, light the fire, and stoke it.  The water will heat up slowly.  The Frog will have no sense of danger because the danger comes slowly.  By the time the Frog recognizes that s/he is in trouble, it is too late.

And I may add to this little story:  Such is the circumstance of our times.  OK, Frogs, it is time for us to leap free. See you outside.

No comments: