Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Big

I cannot believe how big things get here. Mr. Mantis, the Praying Mantis, is almost 5 inches long. He's a beneficial kind of insect, so we are told. I think I know what that means. Looking closely at this guy in the above photo, you will note that Mr. Mantis even has wings so he can fly. Looking even more closely, you will note that Mr. Mantis is smiling for the camera. His right side must be his good side. I wonder what he sees when he looks at me (and you).

The Butterflies are also big (and tiny) and come in a range of colors. I sometimes think we are living in a parade of Butterflies. They seem to be dancing about every blooming thing, plus, when inside we see them dancing about just beyond the windows.

Both Mr. Mantis and this Butterfly are sitting on the Swamp Milkweed that Sarah Saltmarsh gave me last summer. Last year, it was but a stalk taking its place in the ground. This year, it is a shrub and it is huge. The plant must be 4 feet tall. And she is covered with hungry Monarch Butterfly Caterpillars.I also planted 2 gourds: Dinosaur Gourd and Birds Nest Gourd. I started them indoors at the end of the winter season. I don't think I will be doing that next year. After I planted the seeds, it was only a little while until they were making their presence known above all the other seedlings. I planted 5 out front. (Make a note: I do not need so many next year.) In looking at the seed pack, I note that each plant can grow 15-35 feet long. Hmmm...I must have skipped over that part. "Gordy", which is our fond name for these plants, has staked a claim on the west porch and is moving out toward the neighbors. He gets a haircut about once a week.

I had intended to plant a Giant's Garden this summer, but it did not work out. Apparently, many of the plants were already on their way to becoming "big". Melanie said this morning: "We didn't know that we would be the ones who would be small."

No comments: