Friday, August 1, 2008

Peaches

I am not quite sure where I thought Peaches came from. I guess I thought they came in boxes all of the same size and mostly ready to do with at my will. After all those years, I am pretty sure I thought they came from the Grocery Store, or perhaps from some Big Shiny Semi Truck which came from way far away at (I now know) about 4-6 miles per gallon. Those Peaches were available generally at my demand during the range of peach seasons in places far away. Somehow my thinking on these things seems like a life time ago.

For the 1st time ever, we 3 C's have our very own Peach Tree. This year, we have watched those precious Peaches grow right here on our Little Farm: from lovely pink Blossoms communing with Happy Busy Bees, to tiny grey green fruit in fuzzy pajamas, to Blushing Fruit on the heavily pregnant Mrs. Peach Tree.

We picked quite a few a couple of days ago. Mostly, they weren't quite ripe. This Rain, Wind, and Hail has made us a bit edgy. We know such things would be challenge to the Tender, Ripening Fruit. We did not want to lose them so began to remove them from the Tree. We tried to be mindful to thank Mrs. Peach Tree and the Earth for these amazing gifts.

On this day, the Peaches are ready to "work". We have 1st separated out the bruised ones, cut them up and placed them in bags for the Freezer (later for Pies, Sorbet, French Toast, who knows what culinary wonders).

We will be calling some Folks to say we have some to share. The Peaches are a bit on the small order. Some have a few little black spots. They are very good. You bite into a ripe one and the juice just explodes in your mouth and starts to flow down your arm. With Peaches in season, they are going fast.

No comments: