Monday, April 14, 2008

1st Day of School

O.K. We knew some about prairie and natural landscapes in North Dakota. Some of what we knew is indeed transferable. But that was 760 miles away. While also a part of the Tallgrass Prairie region, Northeast Missouri is different.

Case in point: Richard has discovered that the plant he thought was Little Bluestem is Broomsedge. I thought it was Little Bluestem too. We were so excited because Little Bluestem is indeed one of our favorites. Broomsedge is a new companion for us on the farm. I do love it. But it is not the same.

So Sarah, this note is for you. You collected seeds of Broomsedge last fall because we told you it was Little Bluestem. It is not.

I guess you could call it a wonderful opportunity to practice humility. Plus, we are right back in the student mold. Every day is the 1st day of school. I remembered how excited I was to go to school, to learn and grow. Isn't that what life is supposed to be?

No comments: