Monday, April 7, 2008

A Kindred Spirit

Melanie and I visited Eldon, Iowa, last week. Eldon is the site of Grant Wood's famous painting "American Gothic" completed in 1930. While at the visitor's center which overlooks the little farmhouse with the famous window, I was immediately drawn to a box of cards based on the mural "Dinner for Threshers". I know some folks who will like this. Plus, inside was this quote by Grant Wood:

"I joined a school of painters in Paris after the war who called themselves neo-meditationists. They believed an artist had to wait for inspiration, very quietly, and they did most of their waiting at the Dome or the Rotonde, with brandy. It was then that I realized that all the really good ideas I'd ever had came to me while I was milking a cow. So I went back to Iowa."

Since I was a teen and deeply drawn to art as a means of expression, I have loved Grant Wood's work. To me, he seemed to capture the spirit of the regional agrarian landscape and lifestyles; plus he touched on something which moved me deeply yet I could not describe in words. Quite frankly, I had forgotten him until Melanie and I just happened to stop by this little spot.

I have milked very few cows in my life, but some of my best ideas have arisen when I have been in Nature or when my hands have been playing in the soil. Perhaps that is in part why I am now making my home in Adair County on this little Farm.

Dear Reader, who are those treasured kindred spirits who have inspired you along your path?

No comments: