Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Permission

Some days present themselves with particular specific challenges. Today I was on a hunt for a quote by organic farmer Fred Kirschenman which I saw in a late 1990's issue of Yes magazine. The quote has inspired me since that brief moment when I first saw it. Could I find it? No. I know it is around here somewhere.

Sometimes, one sees a quote which sticks. It is like a missing puzzle piece on one's life journey. Perhaps it is not simply a quote by one individual but rather a gleaning of universal truth held by all. For this simple quote, I am left to make meaning of it with my own humble words.

An explanation of the context which inspired the seeking of this quote is important. At this time, gardening season is upon us. We have already planted every single one of those 645 trees. I have some visions of shrubbery and trees around the house and yard which will give nurturing and protection to the space we desire to create. We will be planting garden as soon as the soil dries amidst our generous rains. In the midst of these things, some simple words are mulling around in my head.

As I place that shovel into this soil, as I move the soil about with my hoe, I must surely ask the soil permission for what I do. This precious soil of this great Earth gives life to me and all my companions (human and otherwise) yesterday, today, and tomorrow. This soil holds far more mysteries than my simple human mind can hold. I hope and pray that what I do is in the blessed order of things.

That is no small order. It is a humble request that I may know my place in this wondrous order of all things.

No comments: