Saturday, April 5, 2008

Blooming

Sometimes, one just knows that a road trip to a particular destination is in order. Nothing else seems to satisfy that yearning. You just have to go.

On Wednesday, Melanie and I headed out for an excursion. I had heard of an organic greenhouse in Batavia, Iowa, which is 100 miles from the Farm, give or take. I didn't know its name, nor did I know the exact location. We headed out on a wing and a prayer.

We found it: Dovico Gardens and Greenhouse, 2212 Ashe Avenue, Batavia, Iowa. I was absolutely delighted. We were greeted by Lois Dovico who is owner and creator of this treasure. The operation is indeed organic. I knew it right away.

When I go to conventional greenhouses, which I try not to, I find myself blanketed in an invisible cloud of chemicals. My nose is not happy. My tongue picks up the taste of chemicals. I get a dull headache and my thinking sometimes becomes a little fuzzy. While I love plants and am committed toward acquiring what I need, most of me just wants to run. So I never stay very long.

I find such places a contradiction: How could a place that deals in plants even consider poisoning the air, water and soil with toxic chemicals? People who work there and gardeners who are inspired there surely deserve something better. And don't forget the Earth and all beings.

I followed Lois into that 1st greenhouse at Dovico Gardens and Greenhouse and the air was just beautiful. We don't get good air in most commercial places and urban areas these days. I find greenhouses among the worst. In this space Lois had created, not only was the air free of those oppressive chemicals, but I also could feel the living energy and vibrancy of the plants. The organic practices, the ambiance, the love and kindness of Lois and her staff toward the plants and the Earth, was a greeting to my core. My spirit wanted to dance.

What touched me most was to be in the presence of someone who is living her purpose here. I think we each one come with a purpose. While here, it is our role to live that purpose.

I do not believe that many people in our fast paced world are living their purpose. We seem distracted on a lot of things which are not very important in the scheme of things: the material, acquiring stuff, an upward climb, other people's dramas. I remember watching people head to work during rush hour. I would sit at the corner of 2nd Avenue and Columbia waiting for the light to change while on my way to work. In those brief moments, I was permitted to watch a sea of faces swirling by as people headed to work swiftly, with hands gripping the steering wheel and great tension etched upon their faces. Surely, life is supposed to be more than that.

I believe we are supposed to bloom while we are here. That life spirit, knowing, and yearning are at our deepest core. In order to bloom, we must be deeply rooted in our life's purpose. We must cherish that maximum living vitality: our own, that of the Earth and all beings.

What, Dear Reader, is your purpose in this precious time and space? How are you making sense of these things?

No comments: