Saturday, December 13, 2008

Inward

Days are shorter and Nights longer as we ahead toward the Winter Solstice, December 21. This marker is just 8 days away.

Daylight strength and length are less. Cloudy days bring even lower light. Plants have gone underground. A lot of last year's Plant growth lies on the ground, composting and fertilizing those next cycles of Growing. Most of Nature seems to be sleeping or at rest.

Winter marks days of rest, slumber, going inward, rejuvenation for Humans too. For me, these are days to relax and unwind.

These are also days to read and retell stories. They are days to dig a little deeper in areas which strike my fancy and on questions arising this last growing season. I found a Great Read by George Washington Carver (1937) on "How the Farmer Can Save His Sweet Potatoes and Ways of Preparing Them for the Table". GWC was quite an inspiration to me when I was a child. That information will feed right into my cultivation of such marvels next year and our preparation of the stash of Sweet Potatoes from this year.

Going inward, I need to examine those outdated treasures in my backpack which need healing and release. Otherwise I carry them another season and they impede my growing and becoming all I am meant to be. I am resting more. The Sleeps are deeper. I think my Breath is too.

Nature reminds me that as much as we Humans think of ourselves as separate from Nature, I too experience Cycles and Seasons in my life, which are a Mirror or are tied to Her Own.

No comments: