Monday, October 13, 2008

Gratitude: A Little Background

As I arise this Day, I am feeling a Profound and Serene Sense of Gratitude. But 1st, I must give a little Background.

I come from a Culture which has experienced a disconnect with Gratitude. I am not sure how this happened. Among our Global Neighbors, we have been and are observed as "Takers". The more I ponder this, the more I agree.

The People of my Culture take a lot. A lot. We do not consider the things we take as "Gifts". We do not consider where the things we use come from. We do not consider what it takes for us to be presented with these "Gifts". We do not consider whose lives our actions affect, Historically, Now and in the Future.

Somehow, we simply feel it is our Divine Right to Take. We just Take. And then we Take some More. Nothing seems to quell or satisfy our Appetite for More.

That Taking is leaving a Tattered Trail on this Lovely Planet which Supports Our Being. That Taking is leaving a Tattered Trail on all our Companions on this Journey: Our Fellow Humans, All Beings, Air, Water, Soil, Climate. That Taking is leaving a Tattered Trail for All Those who Follow: Human and Non-Human.

That Taking is leaving a Tattered Trail on our Inner Landscape too. Taking without Gratitude leaves a Dying Space upon the Essence of the Human Soul. This is not the Path I seek to take.

No comments: