Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Nature Notes

Richard tells me the Harris' and White Crowned Sparrows are passing through. He smiled because they headed straight for the "Weeds" in the Garden. I never got to those Weeds after the Heavy Rains and Muck of the Summer. I would surely have apologized for them to my Human Friends when they visited.

But those Dear Feathered Friends are now chowing down on the Weed Seeds in our Garden. Weeds are relative, I guess. We all have our place. My Friends, the Sparrows, would say: "No apologies are needed."

We dearly loved these Birds in North Dakota. Their twice a year quick visits in a small window of time while on their Migratory Routes were clear markers of the transitions of Seasons.

I am so glad that we are on their Route here. I wonder if these Birds are the same ones which have passed through Gardens and Yards of our Friends in North Dakota. Perhaps they even visited Katherine, Robert, and Anna at their new Home, which is where we used to live. Wouldn't that be Sweet?

1 comment:

Chelsea 2XtM said...

These birds sound like they put much into perspective. Jason and I just moved to Fargo, and we too have some winged friends to visit us at the apartment. . . fruit flies. The Fruit flies discovered our indoor garden of Swiss Chard, Thai Green Lettuce, Mesclun Salad, Apple Mint, Chives, Basil, transplanted Kale, lemon balm and accidental gords (my maracca broke open over the garden bed.) I'm researching weather they will hurt our plants or if they can stay for now. I love reading your posts, and sometimes try out your recipes. I think I'll try out the apple pancakes with the farm eggs we picked up yesterday. Thank you for sharing your daily happenings. It really lightens my day, and often.
Until I fly south to visit,
Chelsea