Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Lot Is At Stake

On this day,
I ponder
differences
in Foods
in 1955 and 2006.
In 1955, I was 7
and in 2006, I was 58.
In numbers alone,
I'd find 3,000 Foods
sold in Stores in 1955.
I'd be hard pressed
to find that
in Freeman Grocery,
a Mom and Pop store
on Harrison Street
where I bought Penny Gum or Candy
with that Copper Penny
clutched in my little hand
on my way
to Washington School.
I might find
that in Riley's 7 to 9,
a couple of blocks over.
But I doubt
such a vast array
would be found
in my Little Rural Town
off the Beaten Path.
In 2006, I'd find
45,000 Foods
sold in Stores.
As I cruise the aisles
of Stores that profess
to sell "Food" in 2008,
I must say
I do not recognize
most as Foods.
The Grandmas
of the 1950s
would cringe
at the "Foods" served up
to their Great Great Grandchildren.
This day, I ponder
some more besides.
I wonder about
the number
of additives
in Foods
between those 2 dates.
Who knows?
I ponder
the quality of Soils
in which our Food was grown
in those 2 dates spanning
just 6 decades
of my Life.
I wonder
the Chemicals
in Foods
between those 2 dates.
Whatever is
in those Foods
comes inside
the digestive tube
of the Hungry One
that is Me.
I wonder
the Diseases
arising these days
and their Connections
to our Food.
Some Connections we know,
others we have yet to ask.
We Modern Humans
are
a Chemical Experiment
of Vast and Unknown Proportions.
Those Grandma would say:
"There are
other ways,
Dear Family.
Keep it simple.
A lot is at stake."
~~~~
Data Source for 1955 and 2006:
Organic Gardening, Late Summer 2008, page 16.

No comments: