Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Winter Food

October 13:

We 3 C's strike out for the Gardens on a Mission. We are accompanied by 2 Wheelbarrows and 1 Big Red Wagon, each of which are just waiting for a Load. Even in doing Simple Routine Chores, we like to use Tools that are part of our History. They somehow take our work to a Deeper and more Meaningful Place.

The Orange Wheelbarrow, which Richard's Brother Hollis brought to us last year, belonged to the Boys' Mother. She left the Farm in 1987 and passed in 1991. During those years on the Farm, she was quite the Gardener in what I think was an Old Way. Gee, I'd have questions for her now. And somehow, I think she is right beside us on our Gardening Adventures on this Little Farm.

And the Green Wheelbarrow? I used this a lot in our Urban Yard in North Dakota. Richard di too. I loved it. Somehow that light weight but sturdy Garden Companion fit the scale of me. Unfortunately, the Wheel now is a bit off, so this well-traveled Wheelbarrow has a mind of its own. At this stage of my Life, I do too. We are quite a pair. The Big Red Wagon was a Gift to me from Mother. All these wonderful Tools are happily coming in quite handy during Harvest.

Our mission on this Glorious Day is to harvest Winter Food for our Feathered Friends. Our urgency is inspired by the readiness of the Seeds and the expected Rains over the next few Days. We head 1st to the remains of the Sorghum Cane Field, weaving our way through the sprawling Stalks. Melanie is busy cutting Seedheads beyond our view, which is easy considering their height. Richard and I are a team. He cuts. I place the Seedheads in the Wagon.

We then harvest Sunflower Heads in the Big Field. The Heads are smaller than expected. This is no doubt in part because of the Stressful Summer. But we also should have thinned them as Seedlings. We will do that next Summer, when we have more time. Now, isn't it a hoot to think that way?

Richard and Melanie harvest Amaranth in the Big Field and later Elephant Head Amaranth in Melanie's Veggie Patch. The Seeds are hidden in the Feathery Red Flowers. The Seeds are quite small but I bet those Chickens will find them Yummy.

We then gather Sunflower Heads in the Garden. Richard's must have been planted in the perfect spot for the Season because they stood tall and produced large Heads. Many of my Sunflowers did very well, but others struggled. The Winds and Rains pushed many down. After each Storm, I would lament their Horizontal, rather than Vertical contours. But then, those Sunflowers would rise again, reaching for the Sun, while integrating varied directions in their Form. Over the Season, they became quite a tangle.

For me, harvesting my Beloved Sunflowers is a Happy-Sad Moment. I had so looked forward to growing the many varieties I had selected last January. On this day of Harvest, I see the vitality of the Earth through their Lovely Seedheads. I know the Chickens and Wild Birds will love the Sunflower Seeds probably just as much as I enjoyed planting them and dreaming about them. I will love feeding our Feathered Friends over the Winter. But I am Sad because this act of Harvest marks a dismantling of the Garden.

As we harvest the Seeds, I reflect upon them. Seeds are nothing short of amazing. For me, they inspire awe and a glimpse into the Great Mystery. They are Life and they give Life. Plus, I love to look at the patterns of the Seeds on the Large Sunflower Seedheads. I have no idea how they got that way. How did Nature do that? When the Master approached this Canvas, how did He ever come up with this Lovely Design? Seeds remind me there is a Plan and the Plan is Beautiful. I just need to let it be and find My Place in it.

No comments: