Saturday, October 4, 2008

Hummingbirds

Ruby Throated Hummingbirds have been buzzing about the 2 Feeders around the House the last few weeks. We often have Dinner on the Deck, while they are having their own Dinner at the Feeder. They dart about at high speeds, often pushing others away from the Feeder with high drama, and occasionally buzzing right between our gaping heads as we sit at the Table. We are in awe.

A little research tells us those tiny wing beats of Ruby Throats average 53 beats per second. I found this video clip of some Little Ones in flight. The clip slows their wings down so you can see the motion up close. Richard tells me their Heart Rates are about 600 beats per minute. They are such exquisitely tuned Little Packages of Life.

Over the years, we have noted that when Birds seem highly energized around Migration Times, they are soon to depart. Today, we have no Hummingbirds at the Feeders. Apparently, the normal date for departure in the St. Louis area is about October 15, at least according to http://www.hummingbirds.net/.

Richard tells me that Ruby Throats are headed for their Winter Homes in Mexico and Central America. Some fly directly over the Gulf of Mexico, non-stop.

Have a Safe Flight, Little Ones. We anticipate your return in the Spring. First sightings in 2008 for our area according to http://www.hummingbirds.net/ were April 19. I wonder when they will return. I wonder if they will be the same ones that have made their homes here in 2008.

The more I watch, the more I wonder. The more I know, the more I want to know. These are our Precious Companions on this Earthly Walk.

No comments: