Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Corn

Melanie checked the Corn Patch in our Main Garden today. She picked 6 Ears. They were just about Ripe. We are so excited. We love Corn.

Shhhh....

We try not to announce the Ripening of the Corn to the Larger World around us, because some of our Neighbors might have ideas of their own. That would be the Family of Raccoons.

Those who raise Corn in these parts have an ongoing Dance with Raccoons. It seems that Raccoons love Corn just about as much as the Humans do. They are ever so grateful that the Humans planted these Patches of Corn. For them.

Richard has a plan to satisfy the Raccoons and the Humans too. We are not sure that it will work, but his plan makes sense and we have to give it a try. He calls it "Passive Predator Control". As a Wildlife Biologist, he believes that it is better than "Active Control". Active Control is usually lethal for Predators. Folks talk about "dispatching" Raccoons, which typically means to kill them. Our intention is a non-violent practice on this Little Farm. We try to live with Nature, rather than against. We also try to share. To a point.

Passive Predator Control, which is an alternative, uses "diversion". It would include such things as building a Fence, which we have done. Raccoons are Climbing Creatures so we do not expect that our Fence (which is not electric) will completely deter them.

In this case, Richard has planted some Sweet Corn in the Big Garden which is out beyond our Main Garden. Yes, he planted it on purpose. The intention is to share with the Raccoons.

Why? Richard tells us that Raccoons live in Families and they are territorial. To shoot them merely means that one has opened up the Property to a New Family of Raccoons, who will shortly follow. It seems like that would keep the Wildlife Communities in continual change and turbulence. Now, why would Humans want to do that? We are enough of a disruption as it is.

Richard hopes that the Sweet Corn in the Big Garden will meet the satisfaction of the Raccoons. If that is the case, they will continue to protect the Property for their own interests (it's their Home too), and they will leave the Humans' Corn Patch in the Garden alone. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, I have been embarking on my own little program. I suppose you could call it protection. But it is actually more about adding "Art" and Whimsy to the Garden, plus getting to play besides.

For the last 3 Growing Seasons, I have wanted to make a Scare Crow (which I am calling a "Hug Crow"). But 1st, she will need some Clothes. As I thought about it and polled my Family Members, it didn't seem like the 3 C's had any Clothes for her to choose from around here. We were wearing what we have. I checked out Thrift Stores, but didn't want to convert to rags something that would be wearable for another.

So I scratched my head and decided that I did have some Clothes that I could offer up to the project. You know those Clothes that find their way into the Corners of the Drawers and Closet. It is almost like they are migrating out of here. So I checked the Corners and this is what I found.

That Shirt which is such a beautiful shade of Blue doesn't fit. Plus it was damaged by the previous Washing Machine. I have cherished and worn those Overall Shorts in a variety of Gardening Projects for 2 decades. How the time passes. While I don't like to admit it, they are tattered and ready to retire to other Projects. And, let's just say those Old Tights aren't tight any more.

Richard suggested one of my Bird's Nest Gourds for the Head; I found a Head from the abundance of Gourds which I grew last year. With all these parts assembled, I grabbed my Paints and my Brushes, set up my work area, and had myself a project. And I prepared to have some Fun.With the Painting complete, the Hug Crow needed some structural support. As with many of my Art Projects, Richard does the underlying structure. He created a Form for the Hug Crow out of Branches we had in our stockpile for the Garden and other Projects. I am not sure how he always seems to know how to do these things, but he just does.I worked on getting the Clothes to fit just so. The Head is a little high above the Shoulders, but that is OK. This Hug Crow, while prepared to hug others, doesn't want Anyone nibbling on that Corn in the Patch which is for the Humans. She is definitely on the look out. And she is definitely making a statement.Melanie asked me if the Hug Crow had a name. I said "Cornelia", which seems fitting. We thought about the Name for a little while, and then we chuckled about that.

Upon completion, Richard and I carried her out to the Corn Patch in a Processional. He hummed "Pomp and Circumstance". This reminded us of the time when he carried the University Flag at a Commencement Processional in front of 1000s of people. That well known melody seems perfectly noble for the importance of her task. This is just a Commencement of a Different Sort. You could call it a Commencement of the Ripening of the Corn.

You will also note she has 2 tin pans dangling from each of her arms. They are intended to make a noise as the Breezes blow. That should scare any Critters off, or at least make them pause for a little bit.We installed her just in front of the Corn Patch. She looks pretty happy there. She seems prepared for whatever the Days and Nights might bring.

No comments: