Saturday, August 22, 2009

Happy Birthday, Melanie

Today is Melanie's Birthday. 38 years ago at this time, I was in the hospital awaiting her arrival and not exactly sure what was going on or how my Life would change profoundly with the coming shared times. Yesterday, I saw a glowing New Mama with a 1 Month Old Baby. Today, that very Recent Image gives me pause to reflect.

In our supposedly "advanced" Culture, we as Adults attach to our Children, as if our Lives are incomplete and can only be fulfilled through them. We also have a belief system that we need to alter or change them, because somehow they are not perfect in the way the Creator blessed them into our Lives. As a result, Relationships can get pretty messy.

Somewhere along my Journey, I did a bit of a change. I am not so sure how this happened. In a Traditional System is a Belief that those Closest to the Creator are the Very Young and the Very Old. Indeed, I have watched a glimmer and glow that somehow fades or gets distracted by Modern Times in the years inbetween. In those Beginning and Ending Years which are Bookends of our Lives, the Wisdom and Freshness of Being which seem so clear to the Observer are Expressions of the Divine.

I also came to believe that we do not own our Children, which seems to be a Belief in my Culture too. They are not possessions. They are Gifts in our Lives. They are "passing through". They came with their own Purpose. When that point comes that they "move out", I need to let go and let them be that Special Being they were intended.

Granted, Melanie is our only Child. Granted, when I "let her go" some years back, she eventually made her way Home. Granted, we each committed to working through those Issues of our Relationship. As a result, New Possibilities and New Freedoms emerged for our Lives and our Relationships with each other.

On this Day and All Days, I celebrate the fact that the Creator blessed our lives with her presence. I celebrate the fact that she is the most important joint project of Richard and my relationship. I celebrate the fact that she is here on this Planet at this time and that she too is on her path to becoming all that she is meant to be.

Happy Birth Day, Every Day, Dearest Melanie!

No comments: