Saturday, August 8, 2009

Teentsy Tomatoes

Melanie and I went to the Nursing Home to visit Mother today. Melanie had packed up a little container of Sweet Pea Currant Tomatoes (which are Red) and White Currant (which as the name suggests are White, although ours were more Yellow than White). Both are heirlooms. Sources of Seeds were Seed Savers (for Sweet Pea Currant) and Baker Creek (for White Currant).

Those Tomates are teentsy. They are the smallest Tomatoes I have ever seen. They are very good and sweet. Melanie says they are little bursts of Tomato Flavor. Every one is a surprise.

Mother loved them. As per usual, she wanted to share. So we did. The looks that we got were amazing. The Residents looked inside the little container and saw these smaller than small Tomatoes. I don't think they had seen anything like it. They were used to the giant Beefsteak Tomatoes. Most wanted a taste. Most enjoyed them. Most laughed at their size. We heard: "I used to grow Tomatoes in my Garden." "I like the big ones better." "Do they grow like a regular Tomato?" "Nothing tastes like a Tomato fresh out of the Garden."

No comments: