Thursday, August 20, 2009

Nature Notes

Nature stops for no one. The Great Wheel just keeps turning. I might be hunkered down on my own Human projects which seem so very important and that Great Wheel just keeps on. On this day, I looked up. This is what I saw.

On the eastern boundary of our Little Farm, I saw this lovely Butterfly. Richard said it was a Red Spotted Purple. I noted that the Butterfly was on Oak Leaves and reluctant to move. Richard said that is where he finds them too. I need to look up more on this Butterfly. It is gorgeous. By the way, how did it get its name?

The Ladies Tresses are blooming. Indian Grass is showing its vigor. A Warm Season Grass, this Plant is in full stride in the heat of the late Summer Months. I even noted that the Indian Grass was sending up Seed Heads.

I saw a few Goldenrods. Local Lore has it that when the Goldenrods bloom, Frost is about 6 weeks away. I only saw a few, so I am not sure if I should begin counting. I should rather not.

We had quite a stir among the Chickens. Melanie looked out and noted a Hawk flying over Lacey's yard which she shares with her 5 Chicks. She was really squawking. When we arrived at the Pen, she and the Chicks were tucked into the overgrown Vegetation along the Fence. She had a most amazing sound which Richard said was a signal for them to lay low. And that was just exactly what they did. We could hardly see them. We carefully counted and they were all there.

In the Pen next door, the White Rock Cockerels were hiding out in the Tall Vegetation. They were not making a Peep. We could see them from our angle. They looked like E.T. in that movie long ago, where E.T. is hiding amongst the Stuffed Animals in the little girl's closet. In this case, they were all hiding together with the dense Vegetation overhead. I should not like to trivialize the importance of that move toward their survival. It was amazing to watch. They surely know what they are doing.

Later on, we went back inside; Richard and Melanie were downstairs. I noted 2 Fawns who still had their Spots. They were ambling about our little Prairie Garden just off the West Porch. Mother Doe stayed just behind. Richard and Melanie came upstairs at my call. We watched, trying to figure out what they were eating. It was one of those moments when you think "How adorable." Followed quickly by, "Rather not." Melanie whispered to Ladd, who was asleep on the Porch. "Ladd...go!" And off he went. And off they went too. We just saw their 3 White Tails headed spritely away into the Woods. Ladd came prancing back. He did indeed have the situation under control.

This is what I saw. I wonder what I missed.

No comments: