Saturday, April 3, 2010

Nature Notes

Melanie, Ladd and I headed out onto the Land to see if the Pussy Toes were blooming. Sure enough, they are just emerging and have poked up their little Flower Heads which are almost in bloom. Richard says they are 5 days behind last year.

I love Pussy Toes, also called "Little Cat's Foot". Marcia Melberg, who was our Neighbor, Gardener Extraordinaire and Gardening Mentor in Grand Forks for years, loved this understated little Plant. I remember she carried some over from her Garden to ours in the early 90s.

This Plant with its gray-green foliage never gets very tall. It is found in the Meadow in upland areas which tend to be a little dryer. Marcia taught me that Pussy Toes are excellent ground cover. Just like in Grand Forks, I have placed some around stepping stones in the Flower Garden. I do need to get a few more.

Marcia passed in 1999. She was our neighbor for 22 years. I didn't really connect with her Gardening Lessons until 1991. In that beautiful time that we shared, she gave me many Lessons for a Life Time and I will be forever grateful. The Pussy Toes are among them. I was so thrilled that we have them in abundance on this Little Farm. They were a very large "Welcome Home" from the Farm, the Prairie, and Marcia.

In the meantime, Melanie and Laddie are pointing some out on the Meadow. Melanie points with her finger and her eyes. Laddie points with his nose.

May Apples are poking their heads up and some are even beginning to unfurl their umbrella like leaves. Richard tells us they are 2 weeks ahead of last year.

Melanie found the 1st Grasshopper. Combie Chicken ate it. She was helping Melanie weed.

I noted that we have fewer Birds at the Feeders. They surely must be out on Territories with more abundant Food Sources. They must also be heavy into their own Spring Time Agendas.

Melanie hung Laundry out to dry. Our Clothes now have that wonderful scent of Sun and Outdoors. We were missing that. I understand that in some upscale Developments of the Humans that Laundry Lines are forbidden as "unsightly". Those 2-Leggeds are surely missing out. And the Electricity they use means the Earth is missing out too.

Melanie and I were weeding in the Gardens today. When we weed, it is almost as if we sit in a posture of Prayer. Life is ever so sweet.

No comments: