Friday, April 2, 2010

Sweet Potatoes

When the Sweet Potato Vines are 6-8 Inches long, they are ready to be removed from the Sweet Potato Mother. I gently peel them away. I then remove a few of the Leaves at the Bottom of the Vine. This permits the Vine to ride a little lower in the Water without falling out. If you look carefully at the part of the Vine which was attached to the Mother, the start of the Roots can be clearly observed. I then put the Vines into a Jar of Rainwater. Over time, the Shoots will resprout. I will take care to make sure that the level of Rainwater stays about the same. When the Vines have sufficient Roots, I will put them into a Pan of Wet Sand.

I took off the 1st 2 Vines today and placed them in the Water. These Sweet Potatoes and their Vines are vigorous and want to produce more Sweet Potatoes. The Humans could be heard cheering: "Yea!"

1 comment:

Callie Brady said...

Glad to have found your blog. I remember my Mom growing potato vines when I was a kid. I'll try it. I'll get some rainwater or snow tomorrow. Have a great weekend.