Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Nature Notes

Yesterday was quite warm. When Melanie and I came home from visiting Wren Song last evening, we were met by June Bugs dancing about the Porch Light. One attached himself to my sweatshirt.

I used to be afraid of June Bugs when I was a kid. They are big and noisy, and seem to claim any light at night as their own. After watching the Great Horned Owl, whom we named June, chowing down on June Bugs in 2007, I see those June Bugs and I just have to laugh. I wonder their reactions to the Humans. We can be pretty laughable too.

With the Warming, I am wondering if the Morel Mushrooms will be up soon. Other Folks are wondering too. Richard and Melanie were cleaning litter from the Woods along the road. They went after the obvious stuff, but once there, they found more. They found some stuff that surely someone had dumped 50 plus years ago. The stash included funky bottles and thin tin cans which were just about rusted out.

While picking up litter, they heard a Truck drive by. Looking up, they saw 2 men in a Red Truck who waved. They waved back and continued about their work. Pretty soon, they heard the Truck stop and slowly begin to back up.

A Friendly Fellow spoke through the Window. "You aren't pickin' Morel Mushrooms, are you?" Richard and Melanie smiled, shook their heads, and noted that those plastic bags held trash. "If you were findin' Morel Mushrooms, I was going to start looking for them myself."

No comments: