Thursday, April 29, 2010

Teachers and Learners

Yesterday, I joined Jennifer Schutter and Bonnie Peterson in giving a presentation to the Support Group for Visually Impaired from the Adair County Master Gardeners. Jennifer and Bonnie talked about Flowers which they brought in armloads. I talked about Veggies and Herbs. You could almost call my end of it "Let's Go to the Farm".

I asked how many currently grow most of their own Food. No one raised their hand. I asked how many had done that at some point in their lives. I think everyone raised their hands. Gee, did they have stories to tell, questions to ask and ideas to share. They were such fun.

I told them our Baby Chickens had just arrived the past 2 days. Most had raised Chickens. I told them the kinds that we have and what they look like at this stage of being very small. Most nodded their heads as they were very familiar with the varieties and characteristics of young Chicks. Their love for them was apparent. One said she loved her Chickens and she loved putting the Straw from the Chicken House on the Garden over the Winter. "We plowed it under in the Spring. That was the best."

I "walked around the Garden" and told them what we had planted at the early Spring Season and its progress to date. I also told them varieties. They were surprised that we have 900 Onions planted. Assuming all goes well, I think that will be enough.

Melanie had cut samples of Culinary and Medicinal Herbs to pass around. I told them their Names and some of their Characteristics. They carefully examined them and asked lots of questions. Sometimes they tasted them too. The Herbs which I brought included: (clockwise from upper left) Catnip, Lemon Balm, Tansy, Flat Leafed Parsley, Chives, Apple Mint, Dandelion (tea is for liver cleanse, plus those vivacious roots break up clay soils---no wonder we have so many), Peppermint, Echinacea Purpurea, Chamomile, Oregano, Spearmint (while gregarious and great for Teas, Peppermint and Spearmint are supposed to be good repellants for Mice), Dill.

Richard gathered 4 Plastic Bags of Lettuce, Chives, and Culinary Flowers for a Salad Mix. Plus, he also gathered Green Onions. I had no problem giving any of that away.

These Folks are largely Senior Citizens and Elderly. They are a treasure trove of Gardening Information. I felt like I should have them just let them talk. As a Teacher, I learned a long time ago that the best learning happens when the Teacher has the courage to silent and let the learning unfold. We are all surely Teachers and Learners in these things.

No comments: