Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Book Friend

Zickefoose, Julie. (2006). Letters from Eden: A Year at Home, in the Woods. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company.
~~~~
This book lies at the intersection between 2 stories. Dave and Cec Lambeth gave us a copy of this lovely book sometime before we left Grand Forks. Thinking of them makes us feel warm inside and we smile.

Since we returned from Kansas City last weekend, Melanie has had a cold. I told her a story of when I had the Old Fashioned Measels as a Child in the mid 1950s, I had to stay in a darkened room for 2 weeks. That seemed like an eternity.

Aunt Lula and Mrs. Wagner would come and sit with me. Both Ladies were in their 70s and to someone so young, they seemed old. Yet, to me, their age did not matter, as I was quite charmed by them. They knew how difficult it might be for a Child to be sick and to be confined to the space of one's room. They were very attentive and would tell me Stories. Sometimes, Mrs. Wagner would read. I am not sure how she was able to do this since it was a darkened room, but the Child inside me remembers that she would read and that was very special to me.

At which point, Melanie asked her Dad to read. He read from this lovely book this evening. I stopped my blogging. We all loved the book and the fact that Richard was reading to us. He read the section on Spring.
~~~~
http://www.juliezickefoose.com/book/eden.php