Friday, March 26, 2010

Warming Houses

Richard put the Cabbage Seedlings out on the Shelves on the Walk Out this morning. When I went down to check on the Cabbages this morning, I had the distinct impression that they were telling me they wanted to be planted outside. Now.

This Day was indeed a "Leaf Day" up until 10 a.m. this Morning. But even with Sun and Blue Sky overhead, it was Cold and Windy. Ice had frozen overnight in the Bucket of Water on the West Porch. That seemed hardly a day to put out Baby Cabbages, even though they have been "hardening off" outside these last few Days. My Head was surely denying their request.

I went to shift 1 Flat of Cabbages to the Bottom Shelf to get out of the Breeze. And wouldn't you know, I almost dropped the Flat and 3 Cabbages jumped Free. I looked at them and I said: "I guess you 3 will be planted in the Gardens today."

So I headed out and planted 3 Cabbages, 1 for each of us. They were all Henderson Charlestown Wakefield's. I planted them very carefully in the luscious Soil in the Herb Garden on the West Side of the House. This would permit me to watch them closely. I knew right away that they needed some protection. I remember that our neighbor Carlisle used to surround his new Tomato Plants with slats of wood. That's a good idea, I thought.

A few hours later, to my Great Dismay, I checked on the Cabbages and 2 looked awful and the 3rd looked just great. I headed to the Garage to grab 3 empty and formerly leaking Gallon Water Jugs. Melanie cut the bottoms off. I watered the Plants carefully and placed the Jugs over the Little Cabbage Plants. I kept checking them off and on. I put my fingers down into the Jug and they were toasty, but not too toasty. Within a couple of Hours, they were just as happy as could be inside their Little Warming Houses. So was I.

No comments: