Friday, March 26, 2010

Earth Hour

We 3 C's are going to participate in Earth Hour tomorrow night. We will join millions around the world who are turning off the Lights for just 1 hour (at 8:30 p.m.) as a demonstration of our desire to cut Energy Use and stop Global Warming. Actually, we have been turning off the Lights for a lot longer than that.

Last year, Melanie read by Candlelight. I think Richard and I went to bed early and slept. Melanie reflected that somehow things just seem to get slower and quieter when the Lights are out.

We are not sure what we will do tomorrow, but it will be special. We may need to tell the Chickens that there will be no watching TV. We 3 C's may just sit here by the Fireplace and tell favorite stories. If it is clear, we will go out and look at the Stars.

I remember when we had no Electricity in those weeks after the Flood of 1997 in Grand Forks. With devastation all around us, we actually got out and talked with our Neighbors right there on the Street. Those were treasured times that I will never ever forget. I remember how quiet and peaceful it was without the hum of and distraction of machines. I remember how gorgeous the Stars were. The lack of Electricity and Lights for even a short period stripped away some artificiality and tension whose time really needs to pass.

No, I am not proposing giving up Electricity nor am I ready to do that. But I am eager to let some things go for the Sustainability of All. And I delight in the fact this is a shared experience with so many Precious Humans who are known and unknown to me. Just imagine what we can do if we all get together on some of these Issues. That is the change we have been waiting for. It is beginning to happen in our time.
~~~~
For more information, check out the following:
http://www.myearthhour.org/about
http://www.myearthhour.org/sites/default/files/Earth_Hour_5MB.mov

No comments: