Friday, March 19, 2010

Lettuce

March 18:

It is "Leaf Day" through 11 a.m. our time, according to the Stella Natura Biodynamic Calendar. So I focused on planting a few Lettuces and transplanting my Coleus. I could have planted the Lettuce Seeds directly in the Garden, but I really like to have a few Lettuce Plants to tuck into various spots in the Garden.

In total, I planted from 6 Seed Packets. You can see in the closing photo the Popsicle Sticks marking the beginning of the following varieties: 1 (Lettuce Mascara), 2 (Red Velvet Lettuce), 3 (Crisp Mint Lettuce), 4 (Yugoslavian Red Lettuce), 5 (Lettuce Mixture), 6 (Bronze Arrowhead Lettuce). I use the Rulers to mark the space where I then "broadcast" the Seeds. That seems to keep like varieties all together. When the Seeds are in place, I cover them with about 1/4 inche of Soil. Then I mist the area, keeping it moist until germination occurs. When this is complete, I will mark the varieties with marker on masking tape.

I also moved the Baby Coleuses from the Seed Bed to "Plugs". The Coleus Plants were tiny and their Roots were smaller still. By the time I began to work with them, my Fingers were covered with globs of wet Soil. Working with such tiny Plants was difficult but I did come up with 18 Seedlings.

On this day, Richard built a plant shelf to accommodate the Cool Season plants which we are now beginning to take on excursions outside. Assuming all goes well, we should begin to plant some of them in the big Garden late next week: Onions, Leeks, Cabbages. We are eager. Yet, we are also in disbelief.

No comments: