Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Why Behind Raising Cabbages

As I was sharing some of my findings on the Growing of Cabbages with Melanie, she asked how I came to be interested in growing Cabbages. That's a very good question, one that I had not pondered before.

Both sides of my Family have had long histories with Cabbages, as Mother is ½ German and Dad was 100% Croatian. I think about the dishes I remember as a Child and the exuberance with which they were shared by my Croatian Grandmother and my 2 Aunts.
As the Elders from my Mother's side had either passed on or were living in distant places, I had no experiences here that I can remember. My Mother did not seem as intent upon cooking up dishes from her German ancestry.

But I do remember the exuberance these foods were eaten and shared by both my parents. And I do remember that those dishes seem to serve up family stories right alongside. The dishes that I remember were: Sauerkraut (from both sides), Pigs in the Blanket (Sausages and Sauerkraut from Dad’s side), Stuffed Cabbage Rolls (Dad’s side), Cabbage Salad and Cole Slaw (from Mother), and just plain Steamed Cabbage (who knows where that came from).

Melanie remembers her Grandmother (my Mother) talking about how her Grandma Matilda Waibel Brenz always kept a big Crock of Sauerkraut behind the kitchen door. Whenever she needed it, she would just grab some and put it in the pot.

Melanie and I went to Croatia in 2002 to the villages of my Grandparents. We were very warmly received in the home of a distant Cousin, Franjo and his wife Ankica Crnic and their family. Ankica had prepared a feast for us. When I walked into that house, I instantly felt at home. The aromas were reminiscent of my Grandmother's House in Des Moines. Many years had passed since I was last there in the mid 1950s. Yet, I had instant, almost visceral recognition. The feeling cannot be completely described in paltry words. All I can say is it touched a yearning I had not been able to articulate for a very long time.

And the 3 of us? We have continued many of the dishes above. Plus, Richard loves Raw Cabbage. It is a great snack. In recent years, Richard, Melanie and I have been interested in fermented foods as a means of replenishing good bacteria in our "guts". Such things assist in digestion, which makes more nutrients available to our bodies and subsequently our health. In our 2 treasured Cookbooks on this subject, we have found 1 fermented Sauerkraut recipe to our liking and will try more.

I find it amazing that a simple choice (Raising Cabbages) could have so many links to my Family, past and present. Yes, Raising Cabbages, lots of Cabbages, sounds like a great idea.

No comments: