Sunday, March 21, 2010

Full Day

We had a lovely Spring Equinox Celebration at Ethan and Sarah's this morning. Our 2 Families have made a commitment to stop and reflect on the 8 Earth Holidays that mark the Turning of the Wheel (or the Turning of the Seasons). Our Gathering comes from a desire to live within the rhythms of the Earth and All Creation which support our Being and that of our Companions in Nature. We Western Euro-Centric Humans have lived outside this Circle for far too long; it is time for our return.

Biodynamically, today was a Root Day and in the middle of it was a Leaf Time. In fact, the Leaf Time was actually a time of accelerated growth. We surely don't want to miss any advantages around here. So when we got home, we went straight to the Seeds, Soil, Water, Plants, and Pots.

Melanie transplanted Kale which had gone Leggy. She planted Herbs [Summer Savory, Basil, Holy Basil, Parsley, Marjoram, Hyssop, Nettle (Yes, Nettle), Fennel, Pineapple Sage]. She got one of the Basils from Sue (Thanks, Sue!). She also planted Brussells Sprouts. In the middle of her tending to her Seedlings, she noted that the Peppers are up.

As for me, my attention was focused primarily on my beautiful Cabbages whom I adore. I chuckle as I write this. Every single one of my English Teachers would have cringed with the words "Cabbages whom". They would have circled those words in Red and put "Cabbages which" instead. Well, I make the choices now. And I truly believe that my Fellow Companions in Nature should be addressed as Beings and not Things. So there you have it. Change is happening, at least here.

I transplanted 96 Cabbage Plants from "Plugs" to "Pots". I also tallied up all my Cabbages Plants; I have 85 Danish Ballhead, 32 Premium Late Flat Dutch, 43, Henderson Charlestown Wakefield for a trand total of 160. And yes, 160 is a few more than we need. And yes, we will have some to share. In the middle of my tending, I noted that I have Lettuce Seedlings up. They were only planted 2 days ago. All these beautiful Beings are bursting with Life.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Wow! Green things must just love you! :)