Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Leaf Day Happenings

Today was Leaf Day.  This evening, we planted the 4 varieties of Cabbages I raised from Seed. All are recommended for Spring Planting:  Copenhagen Market, Early Jersey Wakefield, Danish Ballhead (great for Kraut). Oops.  I just noted that I did not put the 4th variety in my notes.  I will check the name on the plant stakes tomorrow and add it to this entry then. Or not.

This marks the 1st transplants that we raised from seed and have put into the Garden this year. I actually started the Cabbages February 25.  My notes say that 2 days later they were coming up.  Within 2 weeks, I had transplanted them from their seed flat to their own pots.  How quickly the time flies. 

I did note the Cabbages were vibrant.  Their roots were well developed but not too developed.  If I had waited another week to plant them they would have had too many roots in their pots to get them out easily.  Timing seemed pretty good here. And of course, the Gardener wants the optimal vitality in the plant and least damage to the plant in transplanting. It only makes sense.

If all goes well, I will start more Seeds in May for fall Cabbages. That's a super busy time. Last year, I decided "not".  Who knows what I will do this year?  I do have Seed Packs waiting in cue.
Dark was settling in and we finished up the planting of the Cabbages. Done?  No. 
 
We transplanted Rhubarb to a new location.  We have had the worst luck with Rhubarb.  We brought down vibrant Plants from North Dakota and transplanted some of Dad's.  All but 2 Plants died.  We are not happy about that.
 
I did some on line searching for pointers on what Rhubarb needs.  I should have looked that up before.  Rhubarb likes loamy soil, well drained.  It is a cool season plant.  It does not like heavy soils and it will not tolerate prolonged wet.  This location should be better.  I am hopeful.  The Rhubarb will tell us pretty quickly if this is a good fit.
 
I would be remiss in forgetting to note that all of Richard's work to create raised beds really has paid off.  We get into the Garden quicker.  The Soil is very easy to work.  And it is beautiful.  I can just imagine those roots taking off down there.  Nothing would seem to stop them.  Timing seemed pretty good here.

We have used Aged Cow Compost to replenish the Soil.  It comes with 2 characteristics which are a boon and a bane to Gardeners.  1st:  The Soil is much richer and easier to work.  Vitality is restored after a century and a half of taking away. 2nd:  The downside is that the number of weed seeds is enormous.  And they are ready to take off.  In some ways, the use of the Cow Compost takes less work with far greater return, but in other ways it takes more work. I guess Gardening is a balancing act.  Life is too.

No comments: