Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Unsightly?

About 9:00 a.m., I washed sheets and hung them out to dry.  (The rest of the laundry is heat and sun sensitive so I put it on the porch.) Then I headed up to the mailbox.  On my return, the sheets were almost dry.

I suppose somewhere out there, someone else did laundry and then put the wash in the dryer to dry.  Maybe it was you, Dear Reader.  It's a little crazy around here in our "developed world".  To put clothes in the dryer takes energy, and for most of us, that energy is generally non-renewable.  That means we are taking it from our children and those yet to come.  How generous.  It also means that by-products include increased carbon in the atmosphere, and gee whiz, we get more climate change.  I think I have had enough this week already. Further, it means that the dryer (which produces heat) then has to cause the air conditioner to work overtime, if such a person has and is inclined to use an air conditioner.  There's more, but you get the picture.  You fill in the blanks. It's strange because folks in our culture think this is the right thing to do. 

Once upon a time, I heard that many housing developments in urban areas have rules against clothes lines.  I guess some genius out there is a bit perturbed by their so-called "unsightly" nature.  Well, perhaps we should think about what truly is unsightly?   Seems like to me leaving the Planet in a state of a mess is right up there.  Count me out.  I shall do everything I can reasonably do to use as little as I can.  Yes, I can do more. I will do more.

No comments: