Monday, July 16, 2012

OK, I Did It

I didn't know how long it would take for me to do this.  I try very hard to just let others go about their path and to recognize that too serves its purpose.  But today, I couldn't take it any longer and I just did it.

I have to say that one of the things that really bothers me is "recreational travel".  No, I am not opposed to folks going on special journeys in their lives as they seek meaning and fulllness.  But I am all for us really thinking about the damage that recreational travel creates on this beautiful Earth.  The scars (on the Earth, her water, air and climate) that we are creating will not be healed any time soon.  Tragically, we just seem to be escalating our damage to the Great Mother, who has given us Life and who sustains us. 

I remember that my Mother had a charm bracelet which included a sweet little charm for the places that we have traveled.  Sadly, many of us have a "charm bracelet" mentality, traveling to the extent that our pocket books can support, tragically on occasion never really being there but rather to say that we did it.  This is what I wrote on a seemingly innocent little Facebook post.  Who knows, I may be "unfriended", but I can't sit idly by on these things any more.

"The damage to the Earth in the creation and expression of Human 'wealth' is profound. The poverty forced on the natural world is not a legacy I choose to support. I realize this position is beyond current mainstream. But we are in serious times, when the ability of the Earth is being stretched beyond Life Support capacity. Serious times demand a look at how we each are a part of the problem and the solution. Future generations would ask no less of us."  Nor should we give them any less.

No comments: