Saturday, September 12, 2009

Maude

When I am working with the Pressure Canner, I feel a bit tied to the Stove. My Eyes are focused on that Needle on the Gauge. It should read "11 pounds" for our Altitude and for this Project.

Yes, I am working on a Project. Richard and I picked Horticulture Beans yesterday. Just shy of 1 Gallon Shelled Beans equals 10 Pints, which is exactly what the Pressure Canner holds. I hot packed the Jars. Melanie put them in the Canner.

I need to hold them at 11 pounds of pressure for 40 minutes. The Left Front Burner of our Stove provides the most consistent Heat. Once I find that spot on the Dial, the Pressure holds at 11 pounds. I still need to watch it carefully. I don't dare get too distracted by other projects.

So here I sit on my 1950's era Chrome and Red Chair right in front of the Canner clattering away on these keys of my Lap Top. Now that is a switch from the "way it was".

I wish that I could include the Gentle Sound of the Water Bubbling against those Jars inside and the Steam gently escaping from the Weight. It is a very comforting sound, not only because it is but also because it houses a "memory" and because I am preparing Food for my Family.

Horticulture Beans were surely a standard in these parts. Homemakers often fixed them as a side dish for those Sturdy Farm Meals. One of our Neighbors says that she likes them best with Cream. These days, no one else will eat them with her, which I find sad. Food Fashions became more focused on "City Life" in the last few decades, but I do think that is changing.

I don't remember Horticulture Beans when I was growing up and I suppose that makes sense since I grew up in Town. We have been growing them and using them the last few years. While we do occasionally serve them as a side dish, they are a very easy start for Bean Dip or Refried Beans. I canned 18 pints last year. Due to discoveries of other uses this year, I think I shall can at least 30.

Canning always leaves time for pondering. I often wonder how the Old Timers did it. Grandma would have had Children underfoot, although I can imagine that She did her best to keep the Little Ones out from underfoot when she was using the Canner. Some of the Older Children surely would have helped with preparation. Plus, other Veggies would have been waiting in cue in the Garden or on the Back Porch. How did they do it all? Those Old Timers make we Modern Ones look a little lacking.

Our Canner has been a Steady Companion these last few weeks. I asked the Family last night if the Canner had a name. Melanie responded: "Maude." Thank you, Maude. You will get a break soon.

No comments: