Friday, September 11, 2009

Monarch Emergence

A few days ago, we noted a Monarch Chrysalis (Cocoon) on the Wooden Laundry Rack on the West Porch. We were careful not to disturb it, which was not an easy thing as we use that Laundry Rack a lot. Since the Kitchen is in high gear from Canning Season, those wet Tea Towels head straight for the Laundry Rack. Be careful, Busy Humans, we have a Slumbering Guest.

Melanie noted earlier today that the Chrysalis had turned Black, which is a sure sign that the Butterfly will soon hatch. Later, she noted the Monarch had emerged. We were excited. It is such a Mystical Event to be in the presence of a newly emerged Butterfly. Our attentions today often drifted to the West Porch.

From our observations, Monarchs emerge from the bottom of the Cocoon. Their Wings are crumpled and fragile at this stage. After emergence, they pump their wings with a dark fluid, which often drips below. The Wings become stronger. As the Butterfly Wings become stronger, s/he moves tentatively away from the Cocoon. During this stage, the Monarch opens and closes those new Wings. I am reminded of a Pilot ready for take off who is testing the Flaps. When this Butterfly opened those Glorious New Wings, I could see 2 dots on the Hind Wings. Glassberg's Butterflies through Binoculars: The East (1999) tells me those dots are scent patches and designate this newly emerged Monarch is a Male. I often think that Modern Society has lost its connection to "awe". In my daily walk, I find evidences of "awe" all around me. Those Monarchs take us quickly to places of "awe".

Their Life Cycle is simply amazing. Stokes' Butterfly Book (1991) informs me that the Life Cycle of Milkweed Butterflies is as follows: Egg: 4-6 Days, Larva: 2-3 Weeks; Chrysalis: 5-15 days; Butterfly: 1-3 Months.

Our Butterfly plantings in the West Garden have meant that all these things were happening in our yard, right under our noses. Their Lives are side by side with our own.

My 2009 Missouri Conservation Calendar tells me that September 7th is the approximate date when Monarchs begin migration. That date is also my Birthday. But that is another story.

Those New Wings that emerged on our West Porch this morning are headed for a long flight to the highlands of Mexico. The latest issue of the Missouri Conservationist (September 2009) has a feature on "Majestic Monarchs". This article notes that the Monarch generation represented by the Butterfly on our West Porch will live 7-8 months, accommodating the long flight ahead to winter grounds. The article suggests that we wingless 2 Leggeds can track their migration at www.learner.org/jnorth/monarch. That site looks cool. We are going to have to sit with it a bit.

We remember seeing steady streams of Monarchs flying from the North North East to South South West last year. We remember their migration as lasting about 4 days. Richard checked his notes from last year; they were migrating most heavily through this area on September 18-19 and 24-25.

Years ago, I used to walk at my fast pace focused on the gray sidewalk ahead. I missed a lot then. I am not doing that now. Maybe I am emerging too.

No comments: