Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Pie

September 3:

Pie is such a tradition in these parts. My Mother has always been a Pie Maker Extraordinaire. I am proud to report that Pie Making is a tradition in our Family that is here both today and surely must go way back. I asked Mother about the Pie Makers in our Family. She said her Mother was a Pie Maker and Aunt Louise could really make Pie too.

Yesterday, I told Mother that I was going to make Pies for the Permaculture Class at Wren Song today. I asked Mother: "What Pies should I make that would mean 'Welcome' for Folks who come from all over?" She responded: "Banana Cream Pie." I asked about Fruit Pies. She responded with no hesitation: "Cherry."

So today was our Pie Making Day. We started making Pies at 7 a.m. and were done at 10 a.m., just in time to be at Wren Song by 10:30 a.m. Those beautiful Pies were still warm.

Richard was back up. The 2 of us were really flying. At 1 point, we put 4 Pies in the Oven in 40 Minutes. We made Blackberry (from Hollis'), Cherry (from either Bonnie's or Michael's Trees), Apple (from our Tree), Peach (from our Tree), and Banana Cream (Milk from the Whitakers, Eggs from our Hennies, Bananas from Points South).

I think I could write a Book about how well the Pies were received. Beth cut them into 51 pieces. The 1st Piece was Banana Cream and it was for Mother. From the remaining 50, each person at Wren Song could have 2. These highly imaginative Students gathered in Groups of 3 so they could have tastes of all 3.

Pie is definitely a Marker of Midwestern Rural Culinary Traditions. They take Time and Talent to make. Making them just special for Someone Else is a way to Welcome People to our Home. Making them just for Us is a Way to know that we are Home.

I asked a Lady at the Nursing Home if she was a Pie Maker. She nodded. I asked her what was her favorite kind. She responded: "Pie." Judy was supposed to come for Dinner tomorrow. I told her I would fix Pie. I asked her what kind she would like. She responded: "Pie."

No comments: