Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Book Friend

Jeavons, John (2002). How to Grow More Vegetables: than You ever Thought Possible on Less Land than You Can Imagine. Berkeley, CA: Ten Speed Press.

Dating back to its beginning in 1972, methods in this manual have withstood a test of time. Chapters include: bed preparation, sustainability, compost, fertilization, seed propagation, making the garden plan, companion planting, a balanced natural backyard ecosystem and insect life. Bibliography is extensive.

I think over time this biodynamic primer is going to become a good and close friend. Admittedly, I do not have the time or energy to focus on every detail at the present moment. But I keep dipping in and out. The section on Seed Propagation is calling me in as I will begin to plant seeds in flats in the next week. The manual includes a recipe for "flat soil" which is what I used last year. Yes, I can do this myself, without the aid of purchased products!

http://books.google.com/books?id=01xFyEdpX-MC&dq=Jeavons,+John+%282002%29.++How+to+Grow+More+Vegetables:+than+You+ever+Thought+Possible+on+Less+Land+than+You+Can+Imagine.+Berkeley,+CA:++Ten+Speed+Press.&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=kLxfS-qFL-bBtwfbrIDqBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBwQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=Jeavons%2C%20John%20%282002%29.%20%20How%20to%20Grow%20More%20Vegetables%3A%20than%20You%20ever%20Thought%20Possible%20on%20Less%20Land%20than%20You%20Can%20Imagine.%20Berkeley%2C%20CA%3A%20%20Ten%20Speed%20Press.&f=false

No comments: