Friday, June 4, 2010

Grandmother Lottie's Scrapbook

I am currently going through my Grandmother Lottie Dean (or Lillian) Hart Brenz's voluminous and meticulously saved scrapbook of clippings. Dates of the clippings are from about 1901 (when she would have been 15) through 1947. She died in 1950 at the age of 66.

The clippings range from weddings, obituaries, anniversaries, poems, news articles, recipes, how tos on household cleaning, pictures, how tos on raising chickens. The clippings were pasted or placed loose in an old Geography textbook which would have belonged to her Father, Robert Nelson Hart. (I believe his handwritten date in the original textbook is 1876.)

This collection is a treasure. It is a "time capsule" which profiles her life, what was important to her, and what was spinning in the world around her. I will occasionally share a clipping and sometimes my attempt to make meaning of it.

No comments: